I’m a very extensive plotter and have never been able to finish a project with any other method. This is what my process typically looks like:
- Brainstorm general premise
- Write a 1-3 page synopsis
- Write a chapter-by-chapter outline
- Revise synopsis and outline as needed
- Write a super short rough draft with key scenes
- Revise rough draft to get manuscript to appropriate length, building in subplots, description, etc.
Plotting is really a process to help my brain keep track of plot threads, character arcs, what I need to foreshadow, etc so I can better enjoy the drafting process.