fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Joy C. Woodbury
@joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you so much!

Ooh, a fantasy trilogy! I feel like my writing consists more of standalones, but I’d love to try a series sometime.

I’m pretty much just adding a ton of fun fantasy elements. I am changing names, though. Although some of them aren’t too drastic – for example, the character who represents Samuel is named Shamuel. XD I felt like adding that extra letter made the name seem more fantasy-ish.

Hmm, good question! Hope you don’t mind lists. XD

Classics:

• the Anne of Green Gables series
  • Charlotte’s Web
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • the Little House on the Prairie series
  • Pilgrim’s Progress
  • Little Women
  • The Moffats book series

Historical fiction:

• the Hannah’s Girls book series by Ruth Vitrano Merkel (but they’re actually true stories)
  • anything American Girl, which I still read for nostalgia
  • Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Fantasy:

• The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  • Ignite by Jenna Terese

Contemporary:

• Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
  • Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan

For Biblical fiction, I’ve tried out a lot of the popular authors, but found myself put off because it was rarely biblically accurate and some of the values presented were questionable. The only Biblical fiction I’ve ever read that I loved is the Two From Galilee trilogy by Marjorie Holmes. There are three books – Two from Galilee (Mary and Joseph’s love story); Three from Galilee (Jesus as a small child and then a young man before he began his ministry); and The Messiah (Jesus’ three-year ministry, crucifixion, and ascension). I highly, highly recommend the series, as it’s absolutely brilliant and heartrending. What I found most amazing is how Holmes managed to write about a completely human Christ – in Three from Galilee, He even has a romantic relationship – while I never felt that it was irreverent or over-the-top. In fact, reading that series was the first thing that made me realize Jesus did come to earth as flesh and blood, a living and breathing human being.

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river

Pin It on Pinterest