fb

Reply To: Songwriters and poets of SE, I need your help.

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Songwriters and poets of SE, I need your help. Reply To: Songwriters and poets of SE, I need your help.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@olivia

Thanks for the advice, Olivia! That does help and gives me several things to think about!

First things first, I agree that songs included in stories are really cool, and when I was reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, I’d make up a little tune in my head for each song. So yes, I think it’s a cool idea.

Same! I sat reading the lyrics and humming them to myself XD I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of it, but Maiah Wynne wrote some fantastic arrangements for the songs. They’re far better than whatever I imagined and her voice is perfect for Lucy Gray. You can find her on YouTube!

So I’d first of all make sure that the songs you add would add more depth to the story. Adding a song that doesn’t have anything particular to do with it could still be okay, but it wouldn’t be the same.

That’s such a cool idea! I think that’ll actually make it easier since it gives me some subjects to work with. I think it could maybe also work for worldbuilding since, in this context, songs are often used to remember history. That sparks all sorts of ideas!

Second, you have to remember that when you have a character write (or sing) a song in your story, the song has to fit with their personality.

Ooh, that’s such a good point! I did notice that! I think it was especially interesting that our first introduction to Lucy was through her song “Nothing you can take from me” which tells you a lot about her character! I totally have to remember that!

I’m not really sure how to help with the actual writing the songs/poems part though. The only thing I can think of that would help get you started would simply be start writing!

Ooh, noo, is there no other way? That’s the scary bit! XD You are right though! I’m going to do my best and write a couple of terrible drafts XD

I did have another question. The scene I’m thinking of is actually the character giving a performance, so it’ll involve several songs in a single chapter. Of course, I won’t write all of them because a. I don’t have the patience and b. I don’t think my readers will have that much patience XD

So, do you think I should only write one full song or small sections from several? On the one hand, I think it would be more interesting to have several different songs with different messages, on the other, I don’t know if it would be jarring to only have a part of a song. (Say, the chorus) I’d love to hear your opinion on that!

Anyway, thank you so much for your advice! It’s really helpful and you raised some points I hadn’t even thought of! Thank you! <3

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest