fb

Reply To: Character Voice

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Character Voice Reply To: Character Voice

Noah Cochran
@noah-cochran

@imwritehere1920

Character sketches sound interesting, I’ll try one ofย  those sometime. Thanks for sharing that!

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

I agree with you Brian; I also find metaphors more evocative and enthralling. However, I will agree with Rose that I like similes mainly because I am able to come up with non-cliche ones much much faster than non-cliche metaphors. With those examples you gave I was immediately thinking of similes and not a single metaphor came to mind. I know, I need work. xD

I absolutely agree with what you (and Rose) said about not overusing these. That’s what we have poets for. ๐Ÿ™‚

@rose-colored-fancy

First off, that character voice questionnaire is fantastic. I had a lot of the info on it already, but you had even more to share and put it all in a coherent and succinct manner. You know your stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

You’ve now inspired me to write a character who is so romantic that he uses metaphors and similes in his thoughts in the middle of a fight. xD

“Those were incredibly bad examples, but Iโ€™m making them up on the fly, cut me some slack XD”

Yes, those examples were truly atrocious. I mean, how could someone write something so aweful…….No silly! Those were great and I would have enjoyed reading them in any book. The way you used those two similes to juxtapose two characters’ POV was a joy to read. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had actually been planning on doing something similar with a character voice exercise by taking a couple scenes (maybe a stream in the woods and a village) and describing them from the three different POV’s of my main characters to help develop their character voices.

@sparrowhawke

When anything just comes to me in writing it’s a joy! Thanks for the tips.

@ashley-tegart

Thanks for the reply Ashley!

Pin It on Pinterest