fb

Reply To: Controversial Topics

Forums Fiction Themes Controversial Topics Reply To: Controversial Topics

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Good morning Neasa!

Did I mention that my wife is Russian, now a full American citizen?

I saw you’re reading “The Gulag Archipelago” by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.  Very good book.  Very eye-opening.

I‘m still educating myself, I‘m reading the gulag archipelago at the moment, its so very eye opening.

I would also recommend George Orwell’s books “Animal Farm” and “1984” if you haven’t already read them.

I had a book called “The Liberation of One” by Romuald Spasowski, but it was lost in a house move and I never got to read it.
Here is the synopsis of it though:
“The life story of the Polish ambassador to the United States who defected in December 1981. It is an enthralling story, full of tension, tragedy, self-doubt and self-revelation, of one man’s career of service to a communist regime, in full awareness of what it was doing to his country, his friends and his family. Spasowski, apparently, is blessed with a prodigious memory.”

Ayn Rand was a Russian immigrant who staunchly spoke out against Communism and most of her major works dealt with how awful that ideology was. (“Anthem”, “The FountainHead”, “We The Living”, “Atlas Shrugged”, etc.)

While I understand and enjoy Ayn Rand, I could not embrace her polar opposite philosophy of the “virtues of selfishness” nor her atheism.  But I do recommend reading “We The Living” if you would like to get a sense of post-Revolution Russia and the devastation it caused.  That is a very atmospheric and powerfully emotional work, and Ayn does a stellar job of giving you a sense of it.

People forget what hard times actually were. Few people actually study real history, but I have been there and seen its dark insidious eyes gleaming under its seemingly benign covers.  Russian communism was sold to the outside world as a better alternative to capitalism and democracy, but it is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and a means to gaining power for the elites, and stripping away human dignity and individual liberty “for the sake of the collective good”.

That is why I feel so compelled to expose it.  To take up the mantle of George Orwell and expose its lies to this present generation and point them to Jesus as the One Truth that gives balanced and value to an individual and to us as family and communities of Faith.  Christ is The Anchor that Holds.

God Bless!

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest