fb

Reply To: Howdy Al!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Howdy Al! Reply To: Howdy Al!

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@imwritehere1920

I am sorry Lily,

I replied to Noah, but saw you asked the question about the “Audio Cinema”.

Got my wires crossed in the threads.

Here’s the link to that.
https://storyembers.org/groups/fantasy-writers/forum/topic/audio-cinema/

The challenge is usually in the first post on a Topic.  (At least, that seems to be the practice from my observation.)
I also included some potential questions that those who hear it and read it can answer for you as a great feedback benefit.

There is something about hearing it back that allows us to perceive our own writing in a very different way. It is something more than just reading it aloud to ourselves. Engage the family in it too, if you want them to do different character voices. It lets them in on your creative process and they become even more excited for what you are doing. You may find they enjoy it so much they are more willing to let you have some “me” time to write scenes that include some of “their” characters.

Have fun with it. Doesn’t have to be fancy, but if you want to add in sound effects and background instrumental mood music you can do that too.

I can point you to some free…[Yes, I said FREE]…resources that I use, if you are interested.

I use “Voice Record Pro” on my Apple i-Phone.  It is free in the “App Store”.  Makes great recordings that can be sync’d and uploaded as an MP3 file to your Google Docs folder, or to your One Drive if you use that.  I think it may be offered on an Android phone too, but you’d have to check.

I then go to the recorded result file and “Edit” it using FREE audio editing software called “Audacity”.
Here’s a link to their website, if interested. Audacity Free Open Source Cross-platform Software
Here is a link to the Audacity How-To Manual if you just want to check it out first.  (See if it is something you might want to try out.)
I always start with just recording the Reading first–Get that cleaned up (i.e. removing long pauses, background noises, coughs, etc.)–Then Amplify the audio where it is too soft or quiet so that the vocal comes through clearly.
Next, I label the areas where I might want to add a background sound-effect.  Just highlight a section of the vocal audio and do a Ctrl-B and label what effect I want behind the vocal track.
Then I record the second layer audio of blank noise so that I can paste audio clips along it and line them up with the labels below the first row audio track–the labels are the visual cues for where these need to come in.

If I want a third row of ambient white noise, say forest sounds, I can add that in below the vocal and effects layers.  You can view the sound mixer and adjust the audio levels of each audio row, so one does not drown out the other.  (Hint: My vocal track is always the loudest.)

And lastly, you can add in a dramatic musical score behind all of these, creating a full cinematic effect.
I personally love the work of “Argsound Background Music” on YouTube.  A brilliant musician with some very powerful works that are (no copyright, no royalty) productions as long as users follow the terms of use and do not try to monetize the result.  He does have a Patreon account for like thirty per year, if you want to donate.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest