fb

Reply To: Better Out Than In

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Better Out Than In Reply To: Better Out Than In

Arindown (Gracie)
@arindown

@tanyacreative

I’m glad I could be a bit of help. Life can get so overwhelming sometimes (especially with COVID and all that), but God is with us.

One thing to remember when writing is that it is as much for you as it is for readers. There will always be someone who is ahead of you and has the “perfect” writing life. For example, I see people on Instagram writing 1000 words in 30 minutes, whereas I’m doing 1500 in 2 hours. I see people finishing 3rd drafts, getting publishers, and celebrating “book birthdays,” and I haven’t finished the first draft of my first novel.

But all that doesn’t really matter. God has me here for a reason.

One thing I find helpful sometimes is to write what I need to hear. When I’m feeling down, I write a story for someone who feels the same way, but I put hope at the end. I resolve the conflict, and it gives me hope that my life can be that way too. I can push on, get through the hard days, and I will be okay.

One last thought…God doesn’t want us perfect. He takes us broken. Actually, our weariness, frustration, hopelessness, and all our imperfections bring Him glory. Sometimes, on days when I wake up angry with the world, instead of praying “God help me to honor you today,” I just ask Him to shine His light through my cracks today and to glorify Himself in all the struggles I’m going to face. It’s not up to me to be “perfect” for Him…He never asks that, and I can never be that…I just need to give Him what I have, what I am, tired sobby mess and all, and He makes it beautiful.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Pin It on Pinterest