fb

Reply To: Better Out Than In

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Better Out Than In Reply To: Better Out Than In

Arindown (Gracie)
@arindown

@tanyacreative Hey Tanya. These are some good questions…ones that I feel like all of us have to answer at one time or another.

How do you decide to shelf a Wip, do you base it on a want and desire to write?

For me, shelving a WIP depends on whether I’m just having a flash-inspiration for a different project, or whether I actually need to wait on it. I have a story that’s been banging around in my head for like 5 years…but I shelved it for now. At first because I was too scared about messing it up, and now because I’m waiting until my current writing schedule for the year is done. I think shelving it all depends on the project and what you think is right for you and your readers.

How do you know if your concept/story is a full novel or better short stories?

Ahh! I relate to this one. Really I think the catch is…can I teach someone this important lesson (the theme of your story) in a few thousand words, or do I need more time to get my message across?

What do you do when you have too many character’s and ideals to do with them that you’re engulfed in the swirling mess of everything?

This happens to me so often.😂  Especially right after I’ve watched a good movie. Usually what I do is either write all the stuff down, or take a walk (away from people) and work it all out-loud. Sharing ideas with someone you can trust also helps. My sister is that person for me. When I get swamped with stories, I just take it, info-dump it onto her and she helps me sort out where I’m going with everything.

I don’t think I can come out on the other side of another failed creative venture or project after the past.

I kinda know that feeling. I’ve been writing ever since I was a kid, but I’ve never “finished” anything. One important thing is to remind yourself that you’re not a failure just because your stuff doesn’t look like everyone else’s or because you didn’t meet your own expectations. I struggle with seeing reality sometimes…I did my first real story contest this last year, won, and instantly felt like I could take on the whole writing world. That’s not true. My writing is going to be rejected sometimes, people aren’t going to always like it, and I’m going to have to work hard at it. But none of those make me a failure. Many times, the difference between success and failure is God. When I let Him do the heavy-lifting, it’s a success even if I fail in the world’s eyes. When I try to do it all myself, I end up feeling like I’m “not enough.” Only God is enough.

Sorry about the ramble.😂  Just know that there’s people out in the world who care about you and your writing.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Pin It on Pinterest