fb

Reply To: Controversial Topics

Forums Fiction Themes Controversial Topics Reply To: Controversial Topics

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@kimlikesart

@this-is-not-an-alien

@hannahrenner

Thank you for your comments, Kimmi. I agree. These are tough topics and should be approached with much prayer, but if the Lord is drawing a Christian writer, anchored in the Word and an active and daily personal relationship pursuit of Jesus one might consider the words of the Lord through the prophet Samuel to Saul in 1 Samuel 15:22.

It may sound trite to say, but “If the Spirit leads you to it, He will walk you through it.”  God does call us into scary and uncomfortable places so that we feel the even greater need to rely on Him more.

There is a love of a person and their ultimate freedom that is deeper than just the desire not to offend. Sometimes we should be willing to offend when the truth is pursued. Because one writes a gently delivered truth that most certainly will make many uncomfortable in their pursuit of the darkness that beckons them to lose themselves in it.  But silence, when the Spirit urges us to speak, can be the worse causing actual harm, rather than perception harm.

I have yet to read in Scripture where God councils us to be timid when He calls for obedience. To leave the outcome to Him.  That said, I do not expect a new Christian, until they have grown into a mature walk with the Lord and gained a greater understanding of God’s Word, to lead into these areas.  It does take a more mature faith and a loving sensitivity to the Spirit of the Lord in what to write or say to them.  But if God leads, do it. Don’t look to disqualify yourself or make excuses, follow The One in His Love Path to reach them.

Jesus admonished His disciples that they could expect to offend the worldly who do not want to hear the Message of Hope or have anything to do with Him. (See Matt. 5:11 & Luke 6:22).

The “Church” (i.e. the “Body of Christ”) has been too silent in public, way too long.

The truth will offend. That is an indisputable fact in this world of darkness we live in.

The key is our attitude in our “delivery” of truth messages.  If in my heart, I truly love the hearer, I cannot silently watch their personal destruction and never offer them the Hope that is Jesus.  I would then be like to wicked watchman in Ezekiel 3:17-20.

Kimmi wrote:

Perhaps they are scared they will not write it accurately. Or perhaps they are scared to offend their readers and lose future sales. Maybe a combination.

I am not saying you hold this belief, but since you mentioned it, I know many writers want to “be successful”, but that should not be a primary focus for a Faith writer, because it can become an impediment to obedience to what God is calling them to do.

God raises kings and tears them down. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and He will make prosper the one who follows Him faithfully in obedience.  Fear should never be an impediment to obedience, for in surrendering our gifts, our lives, and our tenuous hold on what others might think of us, we gain liberty and empowerment from the connection to The Vine, and He causes us to flourish and bear much fruit.

Ridicule and labels and persecution most certainly will come at those who take bold stands for Christ.  After all, we do have an enemy with his own powers and principalities and rulers of darkness.  But we are overcomers! Greater is He that is in us than “he” that is in the world.

Maturity and growth come in the testing of our faith, the same way resistance builds and tears muscle fibers to make a person lifting or exercising stronger and more fit.

If God has placed a burden on a person’s heart for LGBTQA then they can trust Him to equip them to deliver the message of Hope they need through the instrument He qualifies.

We have no fear of giving offense if we abide in Christ and follow His voice to do it.  We have no fear of having our writing banned because we know who The Lord of the Harvest is, and His promises to us are sure.

25 I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. [Psalm 37:25 NIV]

We only have One to please and He died for us, and it is not displeasure with us that happens when we still disobey, but a distance in our fellowship with Him. He never leaves us or forsakes us, but we often can and do distance ourselves from His love and empowerment, while he awaits us to come back into awareness of our constant need for Him.

I personally know, at the onset that my writing will offend. I do not have pleasure in other’s displeasure, but more so, take my primal pleasure in standing in fellowship with Jesus by never compromising the Truth.

James 4:4 does not let me embrace friendship with the world over Him.

4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. [James 4:4 NIV]

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest