fb

Reply To: Howdy, all.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Howdy, all. Reply To: Howdy, all.

Fitz
@fitz

@rose-colored-fancy

Combining Greek philosophy and artistry nonsense is the absolute worst thing. I love it! XD And the ancient Greeks (And Romans) were second only to the Victorians in terms of weirdness XD Nobody surpasses the Victorians! XD

I think the edge the Victorians have is A) they had years of (less) blemished history to draw from and B) they decided to wear it. Not only that, but have grand paintings of them wearing it. lol.

She actually did! I liked the characters, even though there were like… ten main characters, I was pretty attached to all of them, and they all had interesting inner conflicts. (Turtle was my favorite!)

Don’t know who Turtle is, but it sounds like fun 😀

Definitely! If it wasn’t for them, I might have given up by now XD

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Exactly! Sometimes the mood changes in one scene and it shifts the entire character arc. And those things happen and it’s better if you just let them happen.

Those scenes are great, brings in the ups and downs of real life.

That’s a great idea! Honestly, I outline back to front, and front to back, and from the middle outward, or from the beginning and end inward, and in all kinds of weird directions XD For my first book, I had a beginning, but no ending or middle. For my second, I had a middle, but no beginning or ending, and for my third, I have an ending and a beginning, but no middle XD And yeah, I thought about combining them, but they’re all big events that require lots of plot time and buildup, and there’s no way I could stretch one character arc across more than one.

That sounds like some serious Outline-Fu XD I guess for filling in the blanks you can always go back to Themes, world building, and most importantly, character development. They say to trim out everything that doesn’t have a purpose – and that is true – but spending a little time getting to know the people or the world goes a long way.

I totally get that! I don’t read nearly as much as I used to, I tend to prefer audiobooks since I can keep doing whatever I’m working on without actually sitting down to read. And good voice acting adds a whole new dimension to books! And I do love to see how other mediums approach storytelling. I do analyze the storytelling in every media I watch/read though XD

It really does. I don’t multitask very well with audio books, but I love just lying down and listening to the story unfold…

Ooh, I totally see what you mean! When it comes to movies/series, that’s definitely one of my favorite genres. Maybe it’s because of the quicker format, but I like it a lot better in movies than in books.

Movies like Casablanca and Cast Away are great, but boy did Australia and Pear Harbor feel like the length of a book, lol. My favorite Drama show (and Anime, coincidentally) is Your lie in April. If you like stories centered around art (music, specifically), trauma, and growing up, its a good watch.

What’s your least favorite book/series you’ve ever read?

The problem with that question is that it implies I read the whole thing, lol. If I don’t like a book, I just wont finish it XD. While I know there are worst books out there, the worst book I have read any quantity of has got to be Twilight – yes, THAT Twilight. I scrolled through the pages playing chauvinistic bingo before tossing it in the trash, lol.

For me, it’s a close call between the Melanie Dickerson fairytales (I know a lot of people love them, but they’re really not my style), The Youngest Templar trilogy by Michael Spradlin, (I have never seen so many cliches poorly held together by a wonky Macguffin and repetitive banter with no characterization.) And the Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. (Like, that was the story? There was no plot and no ending.)

Never heard of the first; the second actually sounds funny in a really bad way (like watching B class movies XD); AND HEY! Island of the Blue Dolphins was the first book I had to read for school that I actually liked 😛 lol. In all seriousness, I hardly remember anything from the book (I was no older than 10 at the time), but I do remember it being more of a character journey sort of story.

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest