fb

Reply To: Howdy, all.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Howdy, all. Reply To: Howdy, all.

Fitz
@fitz

@irishcelticredflowercrown

haha, thank you! I can’t say I pictured David Attenborough while writing it, but I will definitely take the compliment XD

The thing is about us Irish is that we like to pretend that we tan, and that lots of sun is good for us. That’s been my experience with peers anyway. I was usually the only one in my past friend groups who put on sun cream, only because my parents hammered it into me. Oh gosh your burns sound utterly painful. That has thankfully never happened to me. Swollen red skin yes, but that’s it really. I will certainly take your advice to heart if I ever go to California.

Really? I didn’t know that was a thing. I mean, yes, sun is good for you, just wear sunscreen, lol. And if they still don’t want to, you can tell them that I personally discovered that if you burn as bad as I did, you actually sear your skin’s nerve endings. The burning of which doesn’t hurt at all, them growing back, however, is the problem. It was a mix of pain, itchiness, and static-y sting cranked up to close to the maximum capacity that nerves are capable of… across my entire shoulders. On the list of most physically uncomfortable situations, its somewhere in the top five.

As an Irish person, its still hard for me to wrap my head around the enormity of the US, let alone California. You could drive for three hours over there, and still be in the same state or city. I drive for three hours from Cork and I end up at the Giant’s Causeway haha.

Eh, three hours in traffic and you might still be in the same block XD lol, that only happens with accidents, though. In all seriousness, if you want to picture it’s size, the contiguous US is on the same scale as the whole EU (this doesn’t include Alaska, which is mini Canada and a whole other can of worms). So, somewhere like from the coasts of western Spain to the boarders of eastern France. To put it another way, I once took a ‘tour’ of the western states with my family. Over the course of two weeks in the car, spending at least 6 hours each day driving, we traversed about 2000 miles (I don’t remember the exact conversion to Kilometers and am too American to look it up atm XD ). This was enough to take us from our home state of California (the south-western most state) on a one-way trip to Main (the north-eastern most state)… Heck, I think Texas itself is a little bigger than Germany. Though, the southern and western states are by FAR larger than the north-eastern ones. If you go to the east coast around the original 13 colonies, you can easily go through 3 states in as many hours.

As for San-Fran, I have been there once on a vacation about 10 years ago (I live around the LA area, so, it is about a 4-6 hour drive there). I could give some details of my visit if you would like, but I will say, much of the beauty it once had has diminished of late… out of necessity, the city government has literally created a workforce to clean up human feces, for example.

Your family history sounds fascinating, I love that sort of thing. As the family genealogist, I have yet to track down several ancestors. I have only tracked the Looneys all the way back to the 18th century, the others are very hard to track down because Ireland barely has any surviving records. But I do know a lot about my German side of the family, because my great-grandfather documented most of his family up to the 17th century. I doubt I can go farther than that. I also might have ancestors stemming from Prussia (modern day Poland), though that has been quite difficult to confirm. But I like to say that I am Celtic, Viking, Norman, Scottish (maybe), Germanic and Slavic

I didn’t know Ireland’s records were that spotty. Though, given the time period you tracked it back too, I would hazard a few guesses as to why, lol. All the same that is way cool! Most of our estimations of heritage are just that, estimations. We only have a solid understanding for few generations back, and past that it is just tracking the general movements of populations, last names, and tartans.

You know, thinking about it, I think many Americans have a love of their heritage partially because we don’t have the history in the ground in the same way. I mean, we love to compare and contrast lineages and ancestry because we are a melting pot, and that convergence is fascinating. But if you just look at cities like Paris or Rome, there really is a feeling of the history that has been rooted there for thousands of years. We don’t have that here, and as much as you want to visit California, I would love to visit Ireland.

So Shadow and Bone is a new Netflix series, starring Ben Barnes from the Narnia films. It’s based on a book series (I tried reading them, but I didn’t like them very much). Basically it has a magical system called Small Science in which those who use this power can only manipulate what already physically exists.

Ah, ok. Also, it is amazing what you discover you like in the process of writing. For me, that discovery was linguistics.

Wow I have never heard of this recessive gene trait phenomenon. Well, not surprising, considering how little I know about this subject. Sounds like something worth examining. Thanks so much for telling me about it, I will definitely have to dedicate a day or two for research in this RNA subject. After all, I have to at least pretend I know what I’m talking about without sounding like an absolute idiot.

The trick is to learn enough to understand the basics of the topic without needing to take a full on college course. This means you can be authentic and make it sound like you know what you are talking about even when read by those who know the subject, but not delve too much into it that they can see where you don’t, lol.

Thank you, I’m looking forward to getting feedback that isn’t from friends or family haha

Yeah, same, it is exciting though XD

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest