fb

Reply To: Howdy, all.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Howdy, all. Reply To: Howdy, all.

Fitz
@fitz

@rose-colored-fancy

LOL, exactly! “It represents the fear of the unknown and the depth of the— Umm– humanity?” I wonder if potters and artists used to do the entire complicated symbolism thing too XD

Oh, I am sure. Especially because it was Greece, and as we know well today, no one can spin a yarn of absolute BS better than a young philosopher or starving artist. lol.

The premise is that a group of people with seemingly no connection are all proclaimed to be heirs of a millionaire who has died. They’re told that whoever solves the mystery of who killed him will inherit the fortune.

That sounds like a fun premise, and if she wove in actual characters for middle-grade, hats off to her! It is a delicate balance making characters both authentic and not boring for middle-grades, lol.

But it has potential and I’ll get it right! (Eventually. Hopefully XD)

That is what alpha and beta readers are here for! Friends, family, and fellow writers 🙂

The goose wasn’t my idea, but it’s sheer genius because it’s caused the most chaotic situations so far. XD

That is a great icebreaker, especially for a bunch of villain’s XD, nothing like an angry, super-powered, water fowl to keep you humble.

Oh, that’s such a good idea!

Thank you, hope it helps 🙂

Oh, yes! I totally get that too XD And whenever I’m writing out of my comfort zone (Literally all the time) I constantly think “Whatever made me believe I could do this? I can’t write about this!”

That’s the thing I kinda like about writing though. I know that if I want to be authentic, if I want to write what is true, it forces me to look at truth and to be honest. It forces me to discover and explore, all the while giving me a place to play, and with the hopes of one day sharing some bits of it with the world. Writing is not like a catalogue or science book where we jot down all the things we already know, it is the journal we take with us into the jungles of the unknown.

but it’s a bit looser since there are only fifteen points you need to hit, even though there are guidelines for what needs to happen in-between. That’s what I use for outlining.

I might look into that. I have always had a good instinct for stories and story structure, and most outlining I have see has been so… rigid, and I couldn’t stand it. That sounds like it might be a nice middle-ground. And honestly, I hit blank spaces and frustration too (I don’t know of a writer that doesn’t, lol). Maybe the difference between being more of a pantser and outliner is when I do hit those times, it is a sign I need to take a step back and let my heart mull on it for a while, it will usually come up with what is wrong and what will work.

And hey, use what works for you! But, strangely enough, your method of outlining doesn’t sound so different from what goes on in my head: It usually starts either from the visceral, character changing moments; or the broader sweeping story idea and themes. From there, the kind of characters that belong in that story begin to clarify, and then once I have that idea, the catalysts and major points of story arcs kinda just start filling in based around the characters. The day to day, the character nuance, pacing etc. mostly all begin when I am actually in the moment in front of the keyboard. Although, I did randomly start writing what would become a couple of major characters without understanding why until much later, lol.

I also plot out the major character arcs and work them into the plot. When I have both together, I’ll usually have 75% of the chapters loosely outlined. The rest… ehhh… I deal with it when I have to XD (I’m actually completely missing a climax on my second book XD I have a very, very loose idea of what needs to happen, but that’s all XD)

75% is actually a really good number imo, the rest of what is necessary may become obvious once you have written the chapters around it (kinda like a puzzle; or like a sculpture: you aren’t sure what kind of nose the face should have until you have finished the rest, lol.) As for the climax, you could try outlining your book backwards. You have your main character, if you have your themes and basic plot giving you a rough roadmap, and if you know how you want them to develop and how you want the plot to be left off in the next book (or conclude for this one), then you can try ignoring everything else and focus on what you want your climax to be. Once you have that idea, you can outline it backwards, asking yourself at each step if that makes sense from a character and plot sense. Once you have that outline done, you can compare the two. The idea isn’t to marry you to one outline or the other, but looking at it backwards helps give you a strong end point to work towards and different perspective to work from.

The issue is that my chapters are more than 3000 words, and I don’t want to copy an entire one in

Word count doesn’t scare me XD, and you can always you something like google docs to link it (or some other equivalent). In any case, you are very welcome ^_^

I have a much clearer idea of what I’m going for, so it was helpful after all, even if it was terrible XD

Well, crap does make the best fertilizer XD

My favorite is fantasy when I can find good ones. I love historical fiction and anything Sci-fi. I don’t read many contemporary mysteries, but when any of the aforementioned genres involve mysteries, I love it XD I do read classics occasionally. Dickens is really good but much better as an audiobook, so you can go about whatever you’re doing while he describes something for three pages. XD

Goodness, you are not wrong. Classic literature can be very longwinded, even Tolkein puts me to sleep when I try reading it, lol.

Honestly, I’m not much of a reader, as strange as that may be to hear, reading can be very tiring for me. I can get really sucked into audio books when I can get them, though. For me, stories happen everywhere, from songs to miniseries to video games to playing table-top games with friends. I think the reason writing appeals, even though reading itself is hit and miss, is because its format allows for a huge amount of information which allows lots of detail and exploration.

As for genres, honestly, anything other than horror and soap operas, lol. I will say, while I like almost all genres, fantasy and sci-fi have a special place in my heart (thanks to Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR, Chronicles etc.). But nothing to me is quite as good to me as a well done drama. It is one of the hardest genres to get right (so often turning into melodrama), but when it is done well, it tugs at the roots of who we are.

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest