fb

Reply To: Howdy, all.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Howdy, all. Reply To: Howdy, all.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@fitz

HA! we all need inspiration from something, right? Or how about all those mid to late medieval paintings are that are just monks taking out their frustration with their gardens being eaten by snails by depicting them as monsters being slain my the local knights.

YES! I saw those! That’s honestly one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, especially since it didn’t happen just once or twice, apparently, a whole bunch of people did it.

Oh, did you know that the ancient Greeks actually have vases with dinosaur skulls on them? They found the skull, were absolutely stumped, promptly decided it was a monster of some sort, stuck the skull on a black blob since they couldn’t be bothered to design something more interesting, and drew a bunch of guys fighting it. I mean, what else would you do with a dinosaur skull?

(Btw, you can look this up if you want to see the vase. It’s an actual thing XD)

Speaking of blended languages, I LOVED the idea of mandarin being mixed with english in firefly! if only someone told another certain someone that mandarin is a tonal langauge… lol. still, it did a good job creating that feeling for an english speaking audience which, up until very recently, is a language that has avoided many of those sort of idiosyncrasies.

Oh, I’ve never heard of that, but that’s such a cool idea! I’ve found that languages often have these really fascinating nuances to them and it’s just so cool to study!

Action, imo, can only be as good as our investment into the involved characters.

Definitely! I feel like books tend to focus on plot over character, but personally, I couldn’t care less about the plot. If the characters are nuanced, conflicted, and deep, I’ll enjoy the book, even if the plot is cliche or slow. Of course, this will detract from the story, but my point is, I read books purely for the characters. If the plot is cool, that’s a bonus XD

At first, I thought it might be a little on the nose, but at this point, I make no allusions that this story is allegorical. Heck, I am taking it past allegory, if at all possible.

Go for it! If you have a point you want to make, don’t back down on it! I’ve found that authors can get away with nearly anything as long as they do it wholeheartedly. (Basically, the entire philosophy behind Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which was just grammatically correct nonsense.) I’ve found that authors who seem uncertain generally don’t write as interesting a book as someone who is wholeheartedly writing something that will offend a whole bunch of people.

This is very much a case of ‘do as I say, not as I do’, though XD (What’s my theme? Who knows? Not me!)

I just joined and made my first post in one of those. Not 100% sure how it works, but it looks like good practice. And she sounds like a ton of fun.

Yes, the character castles are awesome! I’m in two, currently, one for villains and a regular one. I can honestly say it’s improved my writing dramatically. I get to know my characters much, much faster, purely because I write about them often and in strange situations. This is especially useful for side characters, who don’t get much screentime but who I still want to have personality.

I know what you mean. I am reticent to try anything new because I don’t know if it is just going to turn… gross.

Definitely! Before buying any new book, I always squint suspiciously at it for quite a while. (Both literally and metaphorically.) I’m usually on my guard throughout the entire book so I enjoy rereading a lot more than the initial read, honestly.

Which is just a bunch of big words that basically say that our first instinct, when we are hurt, is to hurt the other person back with the same evil and say it is ok when we do it. That choice to subject ourselves to a higher objective authority, to give up our own standards no matter how justified, is ultimately what makes the difference between the hero and the villain; and our inability to do it (or do it well) is what makes us human. idk, it sounds like your heart working out something really good.

That’s such a good way to put it! You definitely have a point!

What’s a part of writing you’re trying to improve on?

For me, that would definitely be descriptions, themes, and generally slowing down and deepening the story instead of rushing through it.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest