fb

Reply To: Help! All my boys sound like girls!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Help! All my boys sound like girls! Reply To: Help! All my boys sound like girls!

Arindown (Gracie)
@arindown

@erynne  Hope you don’t mind me popping in.😂

I’ve had this problem too with some of my writing. I think maybe too other things that might help is to pay attention to books written by men authors (like Andrew Peterson) and try to see how they do boy characters. One of the biggest differences my Dad always reminds me is that boys don’t (often) overdo emotions. They also tend to lean stronger toward certain emotions…for example, it seems like girls are more likely to have their feelings “hurt” whereas the boys will either brush it off or be actually angry. Of course, there’s personality differences, but girls just tend to be more emotional overall (which is not a bad thing).

The only other thing I can think of is to ask your brothers to read your writing. I know it can be intimidating, but specifically questioning whether they could relate to the feelings of guy characters can help a lot.

Watching to see how your brothers act in different situations is great idea. Actually, one of the funniest things that happened lately is my brother (who has always scorned romance in books) got a girlfriend, and he acts just like guys in books.😂  He went from being like, “A real guy would never be that smitten,” to being that guy.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Pin It on Pinterest