fb

Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Cathy
@this-is-not-an-alien

Though, it keeps proving to me that it’s impossible to write realistic sibling relationships because nobody would believe it. XD My brother and I have an inside joke where we only call each other by wrong names. The names vary, but they’re always ridiculous and have no reason behind them. He’ll frequently refer to me as ‘Sheep’ and I call him ‘Pete’

LOL I call @rustedknight ‘Buddy’ and I never even thought it was weird until new people were like ‘ummm…who’s Buddy?’ And it’s so funny the sort’ve ‘code’ you can talk in with your siblings like an almost telepathic link.

This is an entirely new level of Dutch XD Anyway, if you do want to use it, it was common in lots of countries among the peasant class because they’re so practical and last really long.

Ooh I didn’t know all that. That’s cool!

It’s become a standard that ‘leading lady’ and ‘leading guy’ become a couple. So much so that any relationship is expected unless blatantly disproved. Some authors try to keep their options open for way too long which leads to a lot of ‘will-they-won’t-they’ which I find deeply annoying.

IKR! I can get why you’d have them both in a leading role so like it’s not ‘oh this random chick we don’t even care about really,’ but there’s so much else you can do!

Now and then, everything will somehow tie together and it’s both cool and a little scary because you’re really sure what you need to write. While doing the dishes, I accidentally figured out a theme and three character arcs in one swoop this morning. And immediately realized that’s something I have to work on too. That happens a lot. XD How about you? That was a really cool question and I’d love to hear how that is for you.

Ikr, writing is really holding a coded mirror to yourself! I’d always see these patterns with my characters that I thought were unrealistic and then I’d look closer and it was really authentic if I peeled back the conscious effort to make my style ‘pretty’ or ‘correct’. I feel like writing ripped layers of my soul apart to my core.
I’d say writing as profoundly affected my prayerlife. I find myself writing rather prayerful scenes like the conflict is what my soul is struggling with and I came to love God more by writing and to see more answers to the constant ‘why am I still hurting?’ The process of having to show weakness and strength, struggle and complicated emotions on a page through other characters really helped me turn off my internal filter that said I shouldn’t feel these things so I won’t register it.
And everything tying together is definitely creepy/cool! Like I don’t even plan half my writing I just be like; ‘ok my subconscious mind: fix it and report please…WHAT YOU MEAN WE’RE WRITING THIS?!?’ And ‘WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME THAT BEFORE I WROTE THE FIRST DRAFT?!?’ But it’s both scary and amazing, I’ve been terrified by the things that bubble out of my mind and comforted by the change and realization it forced.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Pin It on Pinterest