fb

Reply To: How do *you* write?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How do *you* write? Reply To: How do *you* write?

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@daeus-lamb Cool topic!

Oddly enough, the world usually comes first for me. Generally just a rough area and time period that I can world build off of, and from there, I figure out what may be issues in that world.

Any kind of conflict or friction is generally a starting point. If there isn’t anything in particular, I might start from a cool character dynamic. From there, I get a loose theme, which then fuels the main character arc. Sometimes I have the character arc first and the theme second, and sometimes theme falls by the wayside and I have to figure it out later.

Once I have that, I get the plot and character arc at the same time.

Then I start thinking of subplots and side characters. I refine all of that until it fits together, which usually requires partially starting over. This part takes eternal dead ends, inspiration blocks, and scrapping ideas, but then I can finally start writing.

@arindown

Being an artist, I usually visualize them first, and then move to personality, then base the character arc off of the personality.

Totally relate to that! More often than not, I’ll have a color palette before I have a personality XD Not exactly useful, but it gets me thinking XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest