fb

Reply To: How Do You Write Characters That Are Completely Different From Each Other?

Forums Fiction Characters How Do You Write Characters That Are Completely Different From Each Other? Reply To: How Do You Write Characters That Are Completely Different From Each Other?

Skylarynn
@skylarynn

Hey @kylie-wingfeather !

Before I get started, is Ruse pronounced like the word (rues/ruze) or like a rhyme with goose (roose)?  Sorry, that’s just gonna distract me until I figure it out.

Alright, so Teaghan is straight-laced and responsible while Ruse is mischievous and a bit reckless.  Probably an oversimplification, but that appears to be what we’re working with.  Ruse sounds like the type to be very spontaneous and wild (though how wild is up to you).  This will play against Teaghan’s nature and cause personality clashes.  Now, there are a couple of ways you can play these clashes, depending on the relationship you want the two to have and they way you want to portray Teaghan.
Option A: Teaghan, being exceptionally level-headed, takes Ruse’s mischief calmly in stride and handles it firmly without being too bothered by it.  This is great if you want Teaghan to come across as very calm and mature.
Option B: Teaghan, being level-headed but still young, mostly manages to deal with Ruse’s antics but is still frustrated by them.  This is more of the middle road.
Option C: Teaghan, being very straight-laced, is irked by Ruse’s shenaniganry and Ruse easily gets under her skin.  This would work if Teaghan still needs some growing up to do.
Ruse also has a few options of portrayal.
Option A: Ruse, being playful, pulls pranks and such, but he also knows there are times when such horseplay is inappropriate and unwelcome.  This is if Ruse is fairly mature.
Option B: Ruse, being mischievous, messes around frequently but can still understand that sometimes it’s a bad idea and if his actions lead to more serious consequences he’ll be appropriately apologetic for his actions.  This is more of a middle ground where he still makes mistakes but is usually reasonable.
Option C: Ruse, being rebellious and reckless, is obstinately contrarian and can end up getting the group into a fair bit of trouble, potentially with disastrous or tragic consequences.  This is if he needs a lot of maturing.

Hopefully that was of help to you!  If needed I have several characters of varying dispositions that I could utilize to make some sample scenarios and interactions.  Let me know if you think that’d help.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest