fb

Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

It was a lotta work but I mean I literally just started the first draft like ‘I have no clue what I’m doing I have no clue where this is going, oh look I can do this here there and there and-looky there I still have no clue what I’m doing XD’.

LOL, that’s familiar XD It’s actually hilarious when that happens because my brother (Not a writer, but he’s the first person to read everything I write because he’s awesome.) will come with suggestions. They’re good, but often very complicated, historical and requiring a lot of setup. My standard response is “I know what I’m doing! Oh, wait, I don’t.” XD

Ha you too!?! I spent so much time on psychology it freaked Mom out, but yeah, neuroscience is what I’m looking for more than psychology. I love the different ways the brain works like the left brain right brain functions and noise cross-over to physical sensations and the different nobes in the brain that completely change your way of thinking! *sheepish grin* fellow neuroscience nerd here <3

IKR! It’s the coolest thing! My dad is actually also really into neuroscience, and we’ll have detailed, irrelevant discussions about it XD And my whole family is fascinated by psychology, so that sparks cool conversations XD

Like, one of the most interesting things I’ve noticed is what’s literally called ‘right brain mode’ though you can also just call it ‘in the zone’. When your brain starts using the right side of the brain to process information, you literally feel different. I don’t know how to explain it, but I think you know what I’m talking about. I’ll usually get it while I’m drawing, drafting, or listening to music.

You completely lose track of time, and everything except your project sort of… blurs? And when someone calls your attention back, it literally feels like waking up with very little memory of creating the thing. XD It’s an actual neurological thing, and when we discussed it, my mom (Also an artist) immediately got what I meant while my more analytical dad was just kind of “???” Anyway, cool stuff XD

How many different kinds of synesthesia are there?

There are more than eighty kinds since anything can be connected to anything else. But you have (At least) grapheme-color (Letters and numbers have color), and chromesthesia (Sounds have color).

A’s probably red because a says ‘aah’ as in apple and apples are red XD. Nooo w is purple and v is…actually it can’t decide whether it’s brown or black…(w shouldn’t be pronounced ‘double u’ it should be pronounced ‘double v’!)

Yeah, I have no idea how that works, but I totally agree on ‘double-u’. That’s just plain wrong! English is the only language I know that does that XD

Lol Faye sounds funny! That’s be an interesting setting to work with, do you have normal animals or invented animals or classic fantasy animals there?

It’s a pretty regular world actually, except for the different cultures. It doesn’t have fantasy animals, weather, or any stuff like that.

Yeah, I love how Faye is actually funny in a really different way than Liorah. Liorah is snarky and sassy while talking to people, that’s just how she works. She’s confident enough that she’s comfortable with using her voice and making people listen to her, and she isn’t worried about hurting anyone’s feelings if she thinks they deserve it.

On the other hand, Faye, (My smol, precious cinnamon roll!) is extremely shy, nice, and dedicates most of her existence to ‘don’t rock the boat’. (That’s one of her worst flaws) She’s kind of self-deprecating and ironic, but only in narration, and even that is in a really sweet, innocent way. Liorah’s remarks will sometimes get downright mean.

Faye’s also really good for shoving into amusing circumstances. Like, one time when she was running away from someone (Don’t ask XD) her first reaction was taking off her shoes and hurling them at her pursuer. And she trips over her own feet at least five times and loses a shoe in the mud, so she has to hop back on one foot to retrieve it. *Cough* Not drawn from real experiences. Never! *Cough* Faye is really good for that kind of comedy. because Liorah just does dumb, embarrassing stuff naturally and isn’t the least bit embarrassed about it.   

All that to say it has a hysterical narrative!

Oh, I actually read the first Wingfeather saga book! You’re totally right, the narration had me laughing several times, as did the names. (Dark sea of Darkness and Gnag the Nameless come to mind XD)

I loved Inkheart because it had a very clear ‘emotional narrative’ (a term I made up) that described as much as possible in a way that directed to the themes and the key elements of the story. It was about someone who could read books to life so the villain was described so clearly ‘skin as white as parchment’ etc etc and the author would describe things in a way like the real world was in conflict with the magical, poetic prose she used to describe everything that came out of the books but described the characters from the ‘real world’ in a deep POV so like the descriptions seemed to have an internal conflict of their own that really reflected the themes and it was just really soulful and interesting.

Oh, that’s so cool! I’ve never read it but the narration sounds really cool! I have a weakness for poetic prose, as long as it doesn’t sound pretentious and unnatural. I’ve actually been practicing that with Faye’s voice, since she’s very dreamy and metaphorical, so I can go all-out on the poetic prose XD

One of my favorite authors for prose is Katherine Rundell. Her prose is pretty simple, but she has a way of saying things that are really striking, or really funny. Her books also have spectacular aesthetics and the coolest characters. I’ve read Rooftoppers and the Wolf Wilder, and I loved both!

Another one, Shadow of the Bear, was really clear and simple in its narrative. It didn’t linger on descriptors but it have a nice aesthetic. Although it was set in New York, the descriptions lingered on whim and otherworldliness during thematic/intense scenes. So even though it was a ‘modern’ story with a ‘modern’ setting it really worked with its fairytale retelling (of Rose Red and Snow White).

Oh, I actually just checked that out and it looks really cool! I have a weakness for fairytale retellings (done well). I enjoyed the Lunar Chronicles, and though it isn’t my all-time favorite, I still enjoyed it. Do you recommend Shadow of the Bear?

Oooooh that’s a winner! *makes note to keep up with novels you read as they sound very very interesting*

Thank you! That’s a fantastic compliment! XD

That is such an awesome technique I’m so glad somebody’s done that! My sister and I were once talking about like write a story or play a video game where you’re the villain but you don’t know it until the end!

IKR, that was like the coolest thing! I actually didn’t catch on until like… 75% in. But after that, it was glaringly obvious. I think what I loved about that (And generally messing with the good guys/evil guys dynamic) is that it really upsets your preset notion of ‘The good guys are always the POV characters’.

I think this can be carried too far, obviously, it’s still important that right and wrong aren’t blended together. But I feel like really often, the ‘good guys’ will do genuinely awful things that we just kinda accept because they have the good guys label.

I’ve seen and heard people (especially Christians) go on rants about “The books nowadays!! You can’t tell who’s good and who’s bad!! They aren’t teaching right and wrong!!”

But I don’t think that’s entirely accurate. First of all, the market has changed. Characters who are perfect in every way used to be a thing in the Victorian age, under the mindset of teaching morals like ‘good is rewarded’. *Cough* Henty heroes *Cough*

But perfect characters are… boring. Like, really dull. And they don’t accurately portray the struggles people go through, even good people. Like, I can’t say I’ve ever been inspired by a perfect Henty hero. Like, never, but I have been inspired by flawed, messed-up characters who are constantly failing but keep scraping themselves together and keep going. And like how villains used to be pure evil, but that isn’t interesting or realistic either.

People who do horrible things often have reasons why they do that, and even good people and heroes make mistakes and do dumb things, and fall and bleed for their mistakes.

Like, I feel like all the writing advice on this site has a really good mindset on how to write Christian fiction, so I won’t repeat everything they say.

Still, I feel like hero/villain dynamics fall into that category. It would be awesome to read about a character who does things for a reason they believe to be good and it gets darker and darker and about halfway, the character just realizes what they’ve done and redeems themselves. Like, that would be so cool to read!!

And… it just occurs to me that I described Paul from the Bible, exactly. Well, that was a coincidence, but I mean, I’ve only seen that done once and that was in a thinly-veiled (Not very well executed) allegory of Paul’s life. Still! Cool!

To summarize that huge, uncalled-for, excited, ranty thing I just did: Hero/villain dynamics have a ton of potential that isn’t used that often. Thank you for coming to my Ted-Talk XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest