fb

Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Cathy
@this-is-not-an-alien

LOL, that sounds like so much work, but if it means you’re happier with the story, it’s worth it!

It was a lotta work but I mean I literally just started the first draft like ‘I have no clue what I’m doing I have no clue where this is going, oh look I can do this here there and there and-looky there I still have no clue what I’m doing XD’. So I mean…yeah it was a lotta work but now I love the characters!

Ooh, that’s all so cool!! I’m totally taking notes XD Yeah, I was kinda intrigued and kinda confused the first time I heard about it, (in a psychology crash course, yes, that’s my idea of fun XD)

Ha you too!?! I spent so much time on psychology it freaked Mom out, but yeah, neuroscience is what I’m looking for more than psychology. I love the different ways the brain works like the left brain right brain functions and noise cross-over to physical sensations and the different nobes in the brain that completely change your way of thinking! *sheepish grin* fellow neuroscience nerd here <3
How many different kinds of synesthesia are there?
Oh yeah I have an excess of extra brain connections like getting almost physical reactions to other people’s emotions or inventing an entire conspiracy over the color somebody wants to dye their hair as lol (but that’s probably just an extreme emotions thing not extra connections thing).

It’s relatively rare, about 4% of the population.

Cool! I’m a rare percentage of the population heheh!

There are some consistencies, actually, but only a few. Many people see the letter a as red, and the letter v as purple. Otherwise, it differs a lot.

A’s probably red because a says ‘aah’ as in apple and apples are red XD. Nooo w is purple and v is…actually it can’t decide whether it’s brown or black…(w shouldn’t be pronounced ‘double u’ it should be pronounced ‘double v’!)

It is funny to have Faye describe the desert though. It comes down to: “Rocks, dust, rocks, sand, shrubs, more rocks, and dust.”

Lol Faye sounds funny! That’s be an interesting setting to work with, do you have normal animals or invented animals or classic fantasy animals there?

What is the weirdest POV you’ve ever read? Like, not the character himself, but the pov in general

The weirdest POV, lemmie see I’ve read a lotta interesting styles of narrative, the latest I’m reading the Wingfeather Saga and it’s narrative is hysterical my favorite are the footnotes and my favorite footnotes so far; ‘*snotwax; something too disgusting to have a decent footnote’ and ‘*. Yakev Brrz abhorred all manner of animal abuse, most of all the habit of referring to pets as “baby” and attributing to them human characteristics. Yakev’s first wife, Zaga, esteemed her two Beckitt Terriers so much that she insisted they sit at the table with them at dinner and that they sleep at the foot of their bed. Yakev, whose communication skills with all manner of animals was unmatched, failed to convince Zaga that her “babies” detested the eating practices of humans and would much rather have not worn the matching lavender lace pajamas to sleep in their human bed. Late one fateful night when Zaga was fast asleep, Yakev tiptoed to the foot of the bed, gathered Schpoontzy and Kiki carefully in his arms, carried them outside, drew from his sleeve a sharp knife, and put them out of their misery. Which is to say that he cut the lavender lace pajamas from the oppressed dogs and set them running free in the moonlight, never to return. It’s said that once word of the dogs’ deliverance at the hands of the mighty Yakev Brrz spread among dog-kind, wherever Yakev passed, all breeds of dogs yowled and respectfully rolled onto their backs. Nothing more is known of Zaga.’
All that to say it has a hysterical narrative! The Wizard of Oz had a weird narrative but it didn’t really entertain me when I read it. I loved Inkheart because it had a very clear ‘emotional narrative’ (a term I made up) that described as much as possible in a way that directed to the themes and the key elements of the story. It was about someone who could read books to life so the villain was described so clearly ‘skin as white as parchment’ etc etc and the author would describe things in a way like the real world was in conflict with the magical, poetic prose she used to describe everything that came out of the books but described the characters from the ‘real world’ in a deep POV so like the descriptions seemed to have an internal conflict of their own that really reflected the themes and it was just really soulful and interesting.
Another one, Shadow of the Bear, was really clear and simple in its narrative. It didn’t linger on descriptors but it have a nice aesthetic. Although it was set in New York, the descriptions lingered on whim and otherworldliness during thematic/intense scenes. So even though it was a ‘modern’ story with a ‘modern’ setting it really worked with its fairytale retelling (of Rose Red and Snow White).

I still appreciate that book, because it was extremely creative XD

Oooooh that’s a winner! *makes note to keep up with novels you read as they sound very very interesting* That is such an awesome technique I’m so glad somebody’s done that! My sister and I were once talking about like write a story or play a video game where you’re the villain but you don’t know it until the end!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Pin It on Pinterest