fb

Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Cathy
@this-is-not-an-alien

It’s the sequel to “The Letter for the King” by Tonke Dragt. (Not to be confused with the Netflix series. Netflix completely bungled it, as usual. I’m still not over that XD) It’s awesome and so underrated! It was extremely popular in the Netherlands (It was originally a Dutch book) but it’s kind of fading. It was written in the sixties, and it’s basically the Narnia of the Netherlands. (Yes, I just coined that. I’m a genius XD) It’s about a squire who gets asked to deliver a mysterious letter of great importance on the night before he is knighted. He finds the knight who had to deliver it, but the knight is dying and asks him to take the letter to the king of a neighboring country. The characters are awesome, and so is the villain, as I mentioned before, though he doesn’t feature much until the second book. The first book is very cool, but the second is even better! The characters and the worldbuilding gets a lot more depth in the second book.

(ahhh Netflix ruins every book it catches! 🙁 )
It sounds really cool I’ll have to keep an eye out for it!
I love it when the second book gets better! Yay!!!

Totally! I have a character, Sahar, who I use for that a lot. To her, there is no gray. It’s either right or wrong, no in-between. She has a strong moral compass, but this also makes her very judgmental at times, so it’s a flaw and a strength. That’s a really cool aspect of her personality.

See I love when a character’s greatest attribute is also their greatest weakness it seems so true to life ya’know. Sahar…she’s in Liorah’s series, right?

Oooh, I have a trick for this! It’s from the Save the Cat method, it’s called the ‘pope in the pool’ technique. (I find the names of (screen)writing techniques hilarious XD Save the cat, the gorilla in a phone booth, a shard of glass, lampshading, honestly, it’s so weird, and I sound like an idiot when I use them to anyone who isn’t a writer XD) Anyway, it’s a trick for conveying important information without it getting boring. Instead of an infodump in an ordinary situation, use an extraordinary situation. Here’s an excerpt from the article that explains it pretty well: “In the example Blake shared, the writers solved this problem by providing the exposition in a unique way: by having the Pope’s advisers share the information with him while he is swimming. We’re used to seeing the Pope stand in his balcony, dressed in his traditional white robes. We’re not used to seeing him swimming laps, which is what makes the scene so intriguing. We’re focused on the image while being presented with the facts.” I think you mentioned you’ve seen Zootopia? That uses the technique in an excellent way! Remember the opening scene, where Judy and her classmates are in a play about how Zootopia is now united? That scene gave you a ton of background information and worldbuilding, but the scene itself was interesting, so you barely noticed.

Ok so I needed that moderately irreverent never-to-be-forgotten mental image LOL. I’ll definitely never forget the technique though!
Wow you remembered that? Thanks! Yeah, I remember that scene was really good stylistically especially with the climax that flawlessly reenacted that, lovely foreshadowing, no wait we were talking about info-dumping. It was good with that too! An excellent setting-up establishing her goals and the conflict and the history!

I’m using this technique in my rewrite. In the first version of the scene, Liorah was just talking to someone over tea. It wasn’t a bad scene, there was character building, but there was also a lot of exposition and they were essentially just sitting still. Now, I’ve changed it just by adding a chessboard to the equation. Having them play chess while they talk adds a bit of conflict (You know how competitive Liorah is XD) and it adds some movement to the scene. Hope that helped!

Lol yes, that would be perfect for reasonable conflict while establishing exposition with Liorah!

Definitely! But even just a chapter or two can establish a very good ‘normal.’ I actually thought ‘The Hunger Games’ did this really well. The first chapter was Katniss’ normal world, and it wasn’t that long. You only saw about half her day, and it wasn’t an entirely ordinary day at that. But! In her narration, she described a lot of her everyday world, by comparing it to the slightly different reaping day. And, in the chapters following, she dropped in a lot of backstory and everyday life as flashbacks. It isn’t entirely traditional, but I sorta liked it! It really kept the story moving. I’m trying to use that technique, but I don’t know how well it’s working XD

Ooh yeah, that sounds good! I’ve never actually read it but my sister and my best friend/cousin have. A lotta writing advice I’ve read has been fairly wary of flashbacks but I keep going back and forth on it in my WIP, especially where and how much. Right now I’m rolling with the ‘if I can show it without a flashback and maintain the ‘punch’ I go without a flashback’.

*Applause* Exactly! Precisely! Like, there’s so much stuff in the Bible that people overlook, mostly because it gets skimmed over. Like that one guy in Judges (Shamgar) who killed 600 philistines with an ox goad. Like?? What happened there?? He gets two sentences but I really want to know how he got in that position. XD Did you purposefully name Ehud after the judge, btw?

Ehud’s name, yes, it’s after the judge. My brother named all the characters except Rosario and her dad (whose name I haven’t decided on) because she wasn’t in the original cast and all. So everybody in the original cast @rusted-knight named Biblically (all the heroes, that is XD).
Oh, the Biblical people can be hilarious sometimes! Like, two of my favorites, at the Transfiguration of Jesus Peter be like; Lord it…it’s good that we’re here…if you wish we’ll make three booths here, er, one for you one for Moses and one of Elijah “not knowing what he said” like it’s not written there but I can just hear him stammering through that and then, like, in John 21; 18-24 Peter’s just been told how he’s gonna die in the future and he immediately be like; what about John? Like what?! And Jesus be like; what’s it matter to you whether he stays with me or not. And then “the saying spread abroad that this disciple was not to die” LOL the craziest things happen in the Bible not just the miracles but like these people are just as sarcastic and crazy as we are!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest