fb

Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Well, I’m not sure I really designed them they just sorta fell out of my head. I think Ehud is my inner child and Rosario is the walls I put up to protect myself (and Alessio from the first character castle is my anxiety/depression) and mostly writing about them is my safe place to try and accept myself or learn how to change things in me that aren’t healthy and learning to tell the different.

That’s such a good way to do that! I can honestly say all my characters are just facets of my personality (most of them, anyway.) and that makes it easier to write about.

I think the only reason they’re so vibrant is I make a conscious effort to not filter myself or think what a guy or girl “should” or “shouldn’t” be like, I mean both of them break a lot of “gender stereotypes” and stuff. I know it’s really helped me, especially seeing how everybody loves these characters even tho they shatter just about every preconceived notion I’ve had about how I shouldn’t act. So…that’s helped me be more comfortable with myself.

I’m so glad! Ehud and Rosy are literally some of the best characters I’ve read in a really long time, and that’s including published books. I actually love how they break the stereotypes without falling into new ones. *cough* StrOnG fEmaLe CharActEr *cough*. Honestly, they’re awesome! And I’m so happy they’ve helped you, I think that’s one of the best parts of writing.

I expect Liorah is you learning to become more assertive as you grow and losing to idea of how a “good girl” is supposed to behave. She’s probably a lot of the things you wouldn’t dare say in real life and might even cut off in your thoughts but you still feel it. It’s a healthy development and it’s tough to find out what’s independence and what’s fear of never being independent *(mind shifts to a particular character in one WIP that is…man she and Liorah would either get along great or tear each other’s hair out lol)*.

You’re spot on, as in, freakishly accurate. XD It’s that obvious? I didn’t do it that way on purpose, but it definitely drifted that way XD I’ve always loved really reckless, independent, assertive characters, and Liorah became more and more that way the more I was writing.

I’m on like my fourth or fifth draft of my WIP and I think I actually like this draft (FINALLY). But yeah, the first attempt is always very filler as your subconscious tries to establish what’s important or irrelevant etc. It’s a lotta work XD and nobody knows what their doing on the first draft even if it’s your billionth book.

That’s awesome! Congratulations on getting that far! What’s that WIP about? And it’s some comfort that first drafts are always messy. I’ve found that I have the ‘perfection or nothing’ mindset in the second draft, and I have to consciously turn it off and write a bunch of garbage so I can get back into it.

I actually find the ‘garbage drafting’ process pretty fun and annoying at the same time. I love when I know what the scene’s supposed to look like and I can just get it down, but I hate it when I have no clue (this is most of the time XD)

(…Can I read it tho?)

If you’d like and have time, that would actually be absolutely awesome 🙂 I want to finish rewriting it, but then I do need some critique. 😉 That might take a few months yet… though… I don’t like rewriting XD

Ehud and Rosy’s story; I’ve started and restarted it a lot. My brother wrote the entire first draft but a lot has changed and I’m using it like an outline now. I’ll probably like start with little prologues for each character and then cutesy little episodes that slowly web into the intrigue part until sudden the whole thing suddenly shifts into the action and you learn the whole “fun-and-games” episodes were actually building up the foundation for the plot twists. It looks epic in my head…*not on the page. Just sorta. There. Not written. XD*

That sounds like an awesome idea! You’ll get personality established from the start, and then you can work on the plot. I think it could work, especially since your characters are so good!

You too!?! I’ve always hated trying to draw male characters Ehud is actually the first guy I’ve been able to draw ok and that’s because he’s like so Ehud I was so fixated on drawing the personality I forgot he was a male character I had to draw lol. Didyaknow the Disney Snow White was gonna have more screen time for the prince except the animator hated drawing guys! I feel like most drawing books focus more on drawing girls than guys, or if guys then guys in girly poses or who just look really effeminate.

LOL, yeah, that’s how I got over it too. It was just kinda “This idea is so cool but it means I have to draw Acyn…” Then I just sorta kicked myself and did it. It’s actually getting easier now! And generally, I think girls are more fun to draw XD To me, at least. I’m always scared my guy characters look like girls XD References are lifesavers there!

Oh, I was just thinking, can you tell me what made you first fall in love with Rosy and Ehud?

Okay, here we go!

For Ehud, the first thing that got my attention was how he was always happy. Like, when I first started the castle, it was kinda chaos, with the beasts and all, but Ehud was happy, and he seemed to be having fun (mostly). And he was talking, like a lot. (I’ll never forget that comment about how ‘vampires can’t survive in Italy XD That was hilarious)

He has this constant friendly innocence, and it especially shows in a situation that would normally freak out other characters. He does have realistic emotions, but I love how nothing really gets him down. He may get sad and depressed sometimes, but it doesn’t last. I really love that about him, and it really stands out.

For Rosy, I loved how she seemed really harsh, but she’s so selfless and actually cares for people. Also, she has every reason to be cold and detached, but she’s trying to overcome it and genuinely cares about everyone else, even if she pushes it away. And how she’s constantly protecting Ehud, that’s beyond adorable. If you want to show Rosy at her best, you do need to show her from her POV, or from Ehud’s, since he always sees the best in people.

That’s actually a really good question, and I’ve gotten stuck on it some too. What did you notice about Liorah, Gavril, and Ferran first?

In that case can I email you the first draft of an episode when it’s done for critique?

Yesyesyes! I can’t wait to read it! I’ll check with my parents about a safe way to give you my email address. I actually really enjoy critiquing other people’s writing. Do you want me to do more ‘big picture’ critique, rather than line editing?

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest