fb

Reply To: How to Sin and Get Away With It

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding How to Sin and Get Away With It Reply To: How to Sin and Get Away With It

Arindown (Gracie)
@arindown

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

This is a good idea.

I think that most of what we try to hide is our pride, and I find that our culture (I’m guilty of this also) covers it up behind “Identity,” and “Expressing ourselves,” and “Being valued.”

If I can justify my wrong actions because someone else mis-treated me, or because they don’t “value” me, it’s wrong. It’s also wrong if I think that I somehow “deserve” anything from anyone. Not that we shouldn’t value each other, but other’s, and our own, opinion of ourselves really doesn’t matter. It’s only God’s opinion of us that matters.

My Main Character, Enan, struggles a lot with pride. He’s very talented, and is one of the best warriors from his country. He feels like he somehow deserves other’s respect. He needs his freedom, and his weapons, and his ideas. When his whole life crashes down around him, he loses everything…except his self-worth and pride.

That’s when his friend and mentor Davis teaches Enan two important life concepts. One is the fact that we don’t deserve anything from anyone. The Master (God) was not somehow obliged to create Enan and to have him successful. The only reason Enan even exists is out of mercy, and just God’s pleasure of creating human beings.

The other concept is the word, “Aya,” which pretty much means “doesn’t matter.” Davis uses it to refer to feelings and desires. If Enan is feeling angry, Davis will tell him “Aya,” it doesn’t matter whether he’s angry, he still needs to make the right decision. If he’s afraid, “Aya,” he still has to make the right choice.

Eventually, of course, Enan has to face his own pride, and overcome it, embracing “Aya,” and self-denial for the good of those around him.

Not all who wander are lost.

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest