fb

Reply To: How to Sin and Get Away With It

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding How to Sin and Get Away With It Reply To: How to Sin and Get Away With It

Skylarynn
@skylarynn

To my own personal knowledge of myself, I’m not aware that I do this.  Unless doing a more favorable activity instead of homework in order to destress before getting into homework counts?

My characters, on the other hand, do this with relative frequency.  I could go into detail with several of them but for now I’ll try to briefly explain a few.

Jericho is the last of an elite order of immortal soldiers, the sole survivor of their extermination several years prior.  In the absence of these warriors an empire began conquering the surrounding lands.  [If this sounds like Star Wars, that’s because I decided part of the world’s lore involved Star Wars but told like Arabian Nights.]  Jericho refuses to directly confront or fight against this empire, instead training young magic-users to fight as proxies while she aids them from afar.  What she says is that if she got directly involved she’d be overwhelmed and killed and her proteges would only last so long after.  The truth in her mind is that she is a coward and is too terrified to face her former apprentice or the warrior that nearly killed her and murdered her master and friend in front of her.

A more straightforward version of what you’re talking about would be my character Nadia, a minstrel in service to a very high-ranking family of nobles.  Officially she’s a minstrel but in reality she’s the paid companion of her mistress’s foster daughter Ada, who can’t speak.  Nadia, despite being of a different class, race, religion, and familial status (she’s an unknown orphan), has become smitten with the nephew of her mistress.  As she is in servitude to the family this is quite taboo for a multitude of reasons.  Nadia justifies it to herself in a multitude of ways; she denies herself her feelings first, and when she can no longer deny it she deludes herself that it doesn’t matter because she won’t act on it or allow it to affect her judgements.  She tries to persuade herself (and others, namely her close friend Simza) that it isn’t really wrong since she isn’t having an affair with him or anything, she just can’t help but notice how sweet and kind and handsome he is…
Rather ironically, Simza had previously been in almost the exact same situation (her occupation and familial status are different than Nadia’s), so she immediately recognizes what is going on and how Nadia is trying to justify it to herself.  Actually in Simza’s case the feeling proved mutual and it was the nobleman’s active attempts to build a friendship with her that led to her falling in love, though their affair was kept secret.  In Simza’s case she justified it that he had sought her out, so it was not her fault, and she’d done nothing wrong.  After the man exited her life Simza had to come to terms with what she’d done, what with the deception and denial required to keep the relationship secret and the violation of ethics concerning her work.  [Nadia is unaware of all of this.]

Do let me know if this is what you were talking about, I’m not sure I fully understood.  Sorry.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Pin It on Pinterest