fb

Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Forums Art Art Discussions Character Art Exchange Reply To: Character Art Exchange

Cathy
@this-is-not-an-alien

Apparently, a lot of places! Extra-long hairpins, bracelets with knives hidden in them, and I had an idea that you might be able to replace the metal boning in a corset with a flexible blade. It wouldn’t be ideal for fighting, but if you had to cut your ropes or something like that, it would be perfectly hidden. Also, whale-bone corsets have enough reinforcement that they’re as good as armor! Historically, they have stopped stabbings and even bullets, in the case of metal-boned corsets. That’s something they don’t mention in the history books XD Don’t even ask why I needed all this XD

That is epic! I already know where I can put that corset!

I actually just finished the project! It’s my new profile picture. I started on Ehud, but I’m already regretting the pose, because of foreshortening. *Deep sigh* Well, I’m getting there!

She looks lovely!!! Any particular story she’s from?

Well, to tell the truth I wouldn’t be able to foreshorten as well as I do if I weren’t blind in one eye. You see without the two eyes converging I could only see in 2D so my art was really flat then but with therapy I now have full ‘depth-perception’ so my eyes are really sensitive to the differences and it reflects in my drawing (at least, that’s what my sister says, and she’d see my old sketches (that I deleted on sight…XD)).
But it’s really a matter of not drawing correctly. Instead I get some really loose lines and a focal point like a fist if it’s supposed to ‘pop out’ and I usually have to consciously not draw limbs and let my hand instead of my brain do the work.

Not sure how helpful that was but…XD
I think I’m gonna keep that peacoat now I’m beginning to warm up to it.

(Fantasy/steampunk flares are the best! I’m currently vaguely planning a Victorian age fantasy, which I think would be so much fun.)

Victorian is a great aesthetic I’d love to read a fantasy with that! <3

Okay, crash-course jazz-age fashion! I’ll be focusing mainly on women’s fashion because the men’s fashion was reasonably standard. You can find info on that pretty easily. (Honestly, I just find it boring so I haven’t researched it XD) The most important part is the silhouette, which changed SO much from the 1910s to the ’20s. Straight dresses and skirts to the knees. Silk stockings were often worn. There was no waist definition, it was entirely straight from shoulders to hips. Corsets were much less worn in the ’20s. The dresses were often sleeveless for summer. Hair was almost universally short. Blunt bobs were very popular.

Alright I can work with that, thanks!

For evening-wear, sparkles. Just, sparkles everywhere. Sparkles, sequins, fringe, you can’t really overdo it. Bejeweled headbands were pretty popular. Long gloves for very formal events and very long strings of pearls were worn. If you want it more fantasy-ish, but still want to keep the aesthetic, all you really need to mention is the shorter skirts and dresses, dropped waistlines, and bobbed hair. Most people will get what you’re referring to just from that. The 1920s are thankfully pretty easy to research. Pinterest is your friend! You can find photographs and old patterns, which are such a help.

I am so happy I LOVE sparkles (which is probably why my siblings hate them XD). This aesthetic will be so fun to draw!!!

Okay, this is an awful lot trickier. I don’t know that much about this era, but I can give you some places where you could research. If you want it more for the visual and general correctness, you could look up the Italian renaissance fashion, since it was close to Spanish. The specific terms for it would be the Italian or Spanish renaissance. If you have twenty minutes to spare, there’s a YouTube video by The Ultimate Fashion History that explains it in detail. I watched it a long time ago, so I don’t remember much, only that it was detailed and pretty clear, with lots of images and all the correct terms, plus good video quality. It was originally a course for students studying fashion history, so it’s very precise and accurate. If you really want to understand how the fashion of the time worked, I recommend checking it out.

Thank you! I didn’t know Italian and Spanish renaissance fashion was similar I can’t wait to look that up!

I finished sketching Ehud! I put in a quick flat color, so nothing is shaded yet. I wanted to show it real quick because I can still change things if I need to. Is there anything I should change?

I like it! It looks really coordinated and smooth which is something I have trouble with XD and you’re right the hair really looks fluffier and more streamlined. Lol yes his shoelaces are always untied (in fact I think he replaces the actual shoelace with paracord or something he can escape with).

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest