fb

Reply To: *insert unique greeting here*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *insert unique greeting here* Reply To: *insert unique greeting here*

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@madelyn

Heya Madelyn!

(that’s such an interesting tag!)

partly because your name is Rose

Thank you! I think I got the idea from a line in Anne of Green Gables. Rose is also the name of one of my favorite characters, so that’s why I picked that username XD That would be Rose from “The Red Ribbon” by Lucy Adlington. (That book is soooo good!!)

That’s so awesome! What does it feel like to finish the first draft? I’ve never done it before XD

It was exhilarating XD As soon as I typed ‘to be continued’ I was basically doing a happy dance XD Though, the editing…. I’m fully convinced that I have no grasp of English XD

I had no idea what I was doing, and the run-on sentences, and the clumsy dialogue *Shudders* Also, I refused to describe anything, so the first ten chapters look like they’re happening in a cardboard box. Yeah… that’ll be fun to edit. It was a bit of a learning curve LOL

Nice! What medium do you use?

I like to sketch traditionally, but I color digitally, usually. I occasionally use colored pencils or watercolor, but that’s the exception. Do you draw/paint?

When I started writing I used like three adjectives before every noun. Your descriptions are so vivid! I can definitely tell you’re an artist.

Aww, thank you so much! Sometimes I think my posts on here are better than my actual writing LOL. As I mentioned before, I had the opposite problem of not describing anything, ever, so everything is as drab as sand, peanuts, and brown paper bags. I still do that in first drafts, sometimes XD

Haha! I enjoyed your ramble   It was so colorful! I can definitely tell your color would be dark red–partly because your name is Rose

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it 😉 I enjoyed writing it.

That’s awesome!! Oh, yes, I’ve read The Railway Children! Have you read any other books by E. Nesbit? Some other really good works by her are Five Children and It, Wet Magic, and The Enchanted Castle.

Hmm, I don’t think I have, actually. I really loved The Railway Children though, so I may have to see if I can find some others. They’re also really useful since I’m now practically fluent in Victorian slang. Now, that’s a weird accomplishment XD

Yes, she is such a good writer!! I have read the Ascendance series (well, technically I’m just finished 4th book. Isn’t she writing another?) and I read A Night Divided a long time ago.

Yes! “The Shattered Castle” is coming out in October! I really loved all the books, they’re SO awesome! I don’t know if you know, but Jennifer Nielsen has a website, and she’s really active. She often posts short stories, giveaways, announcements, or stuff like art contests. It’s really fun! The website is jennielsen.com

Sage/Jaron is such a good character! He’s literally the smartest character I’ve ever read. Most main characters you’re screaming at to the obvious, sensible thing but Sage it’s more like… he always has a genius plot that the reader doesn’t know.

*SPOILERS for anyone reading!*

Yes! Jaron is an epic character, one of the best I’ve ever read! I love his sass (I adore sassy characters) and how clever he is, but it never makes me have to suspend disbelief.

The first book is probably my favorite, with the big plot twist. Unreliable narrators are the best, and as soon as I finished it, I wanted to reread it. I’ve read it…. four, five times now? (I love rereading books XD) and I’ve discovered that Jaron only lies twice in the entire book! All the others are technically true, which was just plain genius.

My other favorite characters are Imogen, Tobias, and Mott. Though, I like all the characters!

Little rant there

Ranting is appreciated XD

Question time!

What books have impacted your writing style the most?

For me, that would definitely be the Ascendence series, for characters and plot, Anne of Green Gables, for prose, Ranger’s Apprentice for characters. (Okay, not all the characters are great, the female characters are often about as interesting as cardboard, but the idea stands, and Will and Halt make up for it!) For worldbuilding and plot in general, I really love “The Letter for the King” by Tonke Dragt (Not to be confused with the Netflix series.)

What’s your current WIP? I’d love to hear a summary!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest