fb

Reply To: HELP my Character Wakes Up with no memory

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions HELP my Character Wakes Up with no memory Reply To: HELP my Character Wakes Up with no memory

Ally Renee
@ally-renee

@lrc

Hi there! Oh my, that sounds traumatic. But I’ve been there (for the most part, anyways). I have actually written a short story where one of my characters gets temporary-memory loss (so not exactly like yours, but still a sad situation for the characters LOL), but here are some things that I incorporated with that, if you’ll find this helpful:

– He woke up not knowing that specific parts of his memory were lost. I had him forget about specific people but remember the rest, so it’s harder for him to tell that something is wrong. He felt normal mentally, I guess is what I was trying to say XD So there was no burning desire to try to figure out what was wrong with him because he didn’t know until those around him discovered the damage.

– Every now and then, some memories would flicker back into his mind faintly — mostly when something specific was mentioned. But it would fade away quickly before he could figure it out.

I feel like beginning the story with the character’s memory wiped might be hard when writing to keep the character engaged. Of course, I’ve never read a story with a character who has amnesia at the very beginning that I can remember, so maybe there are some really good examples that I don’t know or can’t think of. But I think if the character starts out with memories and then at some point loses them, it might be easier for the readers to keep reading on with thoughts like “Is he going to get his memory back?” and whatnot. That’s just my thoughts; you do whatever you want to your characters in your book 😉

If I woke up with no memories whatsoever, I’d probably freak out on a major level XD Something that I think someone would feel if they couldn’t remember anything was constant panic because I sometimes panic when I can’t remember one thing important, so nothing at all may be catastrophic LOL. I myself would interrogate everyone I could get ahold of and try to get information about myself out of them.

Hope this helps! I am also very intrigued by the fact that many of your characters’ minds are tampered with 😛 Sounds like a cool plot line!

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest