Reply To: Hello, fellow writers!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello, fellow writers! Reply To: Hello, fellow writers!

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

I have the same problem! My main characters always seem too dry and boring! Maybe its because I’m not afraid to go a little wild with the side characters, but I’m not with the main. So that’s why I’m tempted to just grab one of my side characters and throw out the main one….Do you have any tips?

I totally understand that! Hmm, if you can throw out the main character, you might want to do some checking if they’re really supposed to be the main character. If you can take that character out and the entire story doesn’t collapse, I think you should, or if you really want to keep them, you should check if they have enough agency. That’s something I often struggle with!

I’ve never done anything like that, so I can’t help you much besides that!

Oh man, gee… I’m still in the developmental stages, so I’m not entirely sure. Right now, I like Wylo Reni, my villain….he’s a brilliant, melancholy fellow.

I can’t wait to find out more about him. He’s your character in character castle, right? He sounds really interesting! I always struggle with villains a bit😂 My main villain, Hakan, is honestly terrifying though.😂 He scares the living daylights out of me, and out of Liorah, so I suppose that’s good enough😂

I also like one girl character from my second WIP, but I don’t have a name for her yet. She’s pretty cool though. She is the only girl active in the actual sabotage (the others have important work on the sidelines), so that makes her stand out. She’s the sniper of the group, and covers the boys while they blow things up. She — ok, you probably don’t want me to type out her entire backstory, lol.

She sounds awesome!

You’ve mentioned several characters, but which one is your fav, and why? And tell me as much about them as you want, ha ha.

Hmm, I’d have to say Liorah is my favorite! A close second is another character whose name I can’t tell because it’s spoilers XD. He’s very gray, and an almost-villain. He’s not good, but he’s interesting😂

I really like Acyn and Sahar too! They’re Liorah’s best friends. Sahar is really cute, she’s optimistic, extroverted, bubbly, and perpetually cheerful. She’s also very musical and loves to dance, sing, and act. I mentioned her knife-throwing skills before XD.

Acyn is the total opposite, he’s pessimistic, introverted, quiet, and has a tendency to think everything’s going to fail miserably. He’s also really smart and reads a LOT.

The one thing they have in common is their reaction whenever Liorah suggests something impulsive: “Not again! Don’t you remember what happened last time?” XD (They’re usually right LOL) They’re both awesome characters!

The Wingfeather Saga. It’s a four book series with an additional Wingfeather Tales and Creaturepedia. Funny, heartbreaking, and beautiful. Quirky characters (my fav is Peet the Sock Man, known for wearing socks up to his elbows), bizarre creatures, and Fangs of Dang.  “The stories are true.” Go read it right now.

Ooh, I’ve heard about it! I’m planning to read them sometime.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskerville. They are really good! Mystery and some dry humor combined with stunning intelligence and ingenuity.

I love these! I’ve read all the stories at least twice, and I’m actually reading them again.

Where the Red Fern Grows. Prepare to cry, and prepare to want to throw the book on the wall and stomp on it. But read it; it is a wonderful book. And if you love dogs, even bigger bonus.

Oh, goodness! I did read this one, some time ago. I’m still recovering 😂XD. I did cry😂

The Endless Steppe. Its an autobiography about growing up as a refugee in Siberia, and is wonderfully vivid and sweet. You can really see through the author’s innocent eyes what being transported and living in a bleak, endless world is like — and how you can make the best of it.

That sounds really awesome! I’ve never heard about it, but I’ll go check it out!

Oh, and btw, how long have you been doing Krita? I just got it, and its a little confusing. Do you have any tips? And what electronic do you use for it? Thanks! I’ve never done digital art before, so its a bit of a learning curve.

I’ve been working with Krita for about… a year, I think? If you want to learn how to use it, there are some awesome video tutorials online! I suggest learning how the layers work. I think this one may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YQz3Zudw7A

For electronics, I just use an old PC XD but I do use a drawing tablet. (A Wacom Intous, I think a small) You can use any drawing tablet, as long as it’s pressure-sensitive. Drawing with a mouse is nearly impossible XD

Hope this helps! I can totally understand that it’s hard getting started 😉

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." ~The Book Thief

Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest