Reply To: Connecting to Villains

Forums Fiction Characters Connecting to Villains Reply To: Connecting to Villains

Loki
@loki

Here’s a snippet from my story with Hemlock, the Anti Hero and maybe villain. his friend Clay is trying to help him. These characters are of my own creation and what they say is what they say, not me, so if you don’t agree with it that’s fine.

“…” Clay watched Hemlock pace the downstairs angrily from the upstairs overlook. Something… had to have happened to him for him to hate the gods so much… Clay had almost fallen into the same trap when he was younger… just, mad at everything.

Hemlock stopped pacing, sitting down in a chair. “…do you need something?”

“No. Just thinking, as you are.”

“You want to know why I’m like this.”
    It wasn’t a question, nor a guess.

“Well… I won’t lie, I’m curious.”

“Heh… well if you like sob stories…”

Clay’s eyes widened, “Wait, you’re actually gonna tell me?”

“I… I don’t know. In all honesty I haven’t told anyone before. But sooner or later I know Travis (The mindreader of the group) will let something slip and the others will all come running to me with questions. May as well hear it from me than from him. …if you promise not to tell anyone else, and you give them your word that I’m fine.”

Clay raised up his hand, “Knight’s honor. Do you… want to come up here? Or should I come down there.”

Hemlock shrugged. “I don’t want to move.”

“Fair enough.” Clay went down the stairs to where his stubborn elvish friend was.

Hemlock sighed. “I… I don’t want to believe in any gods, because…I don’t think they would have let what happened to me happen. …I tried to stop it, but no one did anything to help me, and now it doesn’t matter because no matter what I do I can’t undo what happened. …the gods don’t care about me, and they proved it.”

Clay sighed and sat down next to him, “if someone else hurt you… that isn’t the gods fault. It’s the person who hurt you, it’s their fault.”

“But there was no warning! It couldn’t have been just because of them, the only way something like this could have happened is because the gods aren’t real! And if they are real they sure have a Dang problem with me because I loved her!”

“Hemlock, you’re not listening to me. Whatever happened, you’re trying to deny it by blaming the gods. How about blaming the person who is actually in the wrong?”

“I do blame her! But what about me? I didn’t do anything wrong, I believed in the gods and served them, why did something like this happen to me? I’ve had a hard life and I was prepared for one, but…but this…” Hemlock looked down at his shaking hands. “…do I deserve this?”

“No… sometimes bad things just happen. Sometimes you break an arm or lose someone you love… the world isn’t perfect, and sometimes there isn’t a reason behind the bad things.”

Hemlock covered his face with his hands, speaking through gritted teeth. “But they don’t care. They don’t care about me. If they cared, I wouldn’t feel this way. If they cared, they’d show me.”

“Well… you can believe that. Even if it’s really sad. But you might think they don’t care because you don’t accept their love. You can’t feel their love if you push it away.”

“…How do I accept it? How do you even know they’re real?”

“Faith.”

Hemlock buried his face in his hands, shaking with sobs. Tears rolled down his cheeks. Tears of relief. Tears of pain. Tears of gratitude.

Pin It on Pinterest