Reply To: Impactful Books

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Impactful Books Reply To: Impactful Books

R.M. Archer
@r-m-archer

The Shannara and Landover series by Terry Brooks were some of my earliest influences. They’re what got me into fantasy, and so many of my early stories were just rip-offs of those books, lol.

After that, Women of Kern by Maris McKay opened my eyes to the wider possibilities of fantasy, as far as worldbuilding is concerned. That helped spark my now-favorite fantasy world, which in turn eventually led to my current project.

I’ve been re-reading The Lord of the Rings, and the writing style has been so encouraging! Because my current project is intentionally very slow-paced and focuses a lot on everyday life, and to see that in this amazing classic. It was super encouraging and reinforced that yes, I can do this, and there will be people who like my book even though it doesn’t move very quickly.

I also read Love and the Sea and Everything in Between by Brian McBride recently, which has had me thinking a lot about how to approach hard, sometimes dark topics in fiction and be honest about them while using them to point to a bigger hope. (Another book I read around the same time also contributed to that train of thought, but I won’t say what it was because I thought it did a poor job of approaching the issue it focused on and I don’t want to reflect poorly on the author. :P)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Pin It on Pinterest