Do you have a story burning inside you? Are you up for a challenge? Do you like prizes?
If so, you’re in for a thrill, because we’ve decided to make our short story contest an annual event, and we hope you’ll grab your pen (or laptop) to compete!
But first I’m sure you’d like to hear about all the prestige and loot you could gain as a result of your literary genius.
First Place Winner will receive:
- $100 Amazon gift card
- Publication on the Story Embers blog
Second Place Winner will receive:
- $50 Amazon gift card
- Publication on the Story Embers blog
Three Honorable Mentions will receive:
- Certificate of achievement
- Acknowledgement in the announcement post
Please read these guidelines carefully and refer back to the list before entering. We reserve the right to disqualify entrants for not following our criteria, and our decisions as judges are final.
- Word count must be no shorter than 1,000 and no longer than 5,000.
- The story must be a work of fiction (not a memoir) written in first or third person point of view. The genre is of your choice, though we will ask you to select a category on the entry form for review purposes. Read our Christian Storytellers Manifesto to see the attributes we want stories to display.
- The story must be original and unpublished. If it has previously been posted online (on a personal blog or elsewhere), that classifies as published. You may acquire the help of beta readers and critique partners to refine your story, but coauthored pieces are not permitted.
- Entries must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents. If you don’t have access to that program, you can prepare your text in Google Docs, then click on Share & Export and Save as Word.
- Type your story’s title at the top of the first page, but do not include your name anywhere in the document (that information will be collected on the entry form). Use 12 pt. Times New Roman, apply double spacing, left-align text, indent paragraphs, insert a trio of centered asterisks for hard scene breaks, and italicize direct thoughts and words of emphasis.
- Entries must be text only. Images, graphics, or illustrations (whether enclosed in the file or submitted separately) will be rejected.
- A $10 submission fee must be tendered at the time of entry. This fee is nonrefundable. After you fill out the form and click Submit, you’ll be redirected to PayPal to pay the fee.
- Patrons who pledged at the $8 tier or above may enter for FREE. Type your name/pseudonym and genre in an email, attach your story, and send it directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other participants must submit their stories via the entry form.
- Only one entry is allowed per person. Once a story has been submitted, we will not accept edits or exchanges, so be sure to polish your work thoroughly and upload the correct document.
- Entrants must be subscribers to our newsletter. If you haven’t signed up yet, you may do so by visiting our Resource Library.
- The following individuals are ineligible to enter the contest: Story Embers board and staff members, writers, interns, and guild masters, as well as the previous year’s first place winner.
- Entries that contradict our Statement of Faith or contain objectionable content (such as gratuitous violence, profanity, or sex) will be disqualified.
- The first and second place stories are subject to our Editorial Policy, and Story Embers retains exclusive use of the winning stories for 3 months after publication. Once that time span has elapsed, authors are free to reprint their pieces elsewhere.
Stories will be evaluated on the basis of style/mechanics, theme, characters, and overall uniqueness. Josiah and I will be serving as judges. We’ve been working together for three years in various capacities, and our different but complementary skill sets make us a dynamic editorial duo.
Josiah is the editor-in-chief of Story Embers, the fiction content manager at The Young Writer, and a literature nerd who fell in love with stories at an early age. Because he’s fascinated by human motivations, he enjoys putting normal people in crazy situations (did he mention he writes fantasy?) and forcing them to make difficult choices. He will be zeroing in on themes, the motivations behind characters’ actions, and the events that push the protagonists toward the climax. He’s eager to be enthralled by your stories!
I’m the managing editor and graphics director here at Story Embers. Although I began as a writer, my penchant for noticing typos and obsession with syntax compelled me to wield a red pen rather than a black one. As a professional editor, I’ve worked on a variety of projects for individual clients, publishers, and organizations, including Gilead Publishing, Castle Gate Press, and Kingdom Pen. I love aiding writers in achieving their aspirations to captivate and change the world through fiction. I will be focusing on the nitty-gritty details of storytelling—from grammar to showing vs. telling to breathtaking prose. I can’t wait to see the magic you weave with your words!
How to Enter
Fill out our entry form and attach your story. Double check that all the information you provide is correct and accurate, or we might have difficulty contacting you if you place in the contest.
Entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. EDT on June 30, 2019. That gives you two full months to hit us with your best shot, so take your time, craft a riveting story, and enter with confidence. Winners will be announced on or by October 4, 2019.
Have a question about the contest? Email email@example.com or drop a comment below.
Brianna Storm Hilvety is passionate about helping writers achieve their aspirations to captivate and change the world through fiction. At Story Embers, she juggles multiple roles—founding board member, managing editor, and graphics director. She oversees the entire publishing department and its personnel, ensuring that content is processed, edited, scheduled, and posted on the site weekly, as well as superintends the creation of visual elements and organizes writing contests.
In addition to her ongoing work at SE, she’s served a variety of authors, publishers, and writers organizations, such as Gilead Publishing, Castle Gate Press, and Kingdom Pen. Her professional affiliations include gold membership at The Christian PEN, editing certifications from The PEN Institute, and copyediting and proofreading expertise at the Christian Editor Connection. If you’re interested in having your voice and style sharpened, you can find a full description of her editorial services at TheLiteraryCrusader.com.